HOW TO APPLY
Artists can apply to a BIG INK call-for-entry by submitting an online application.
ARTISTS INTERESTED IN APPLYING TO A CALL SHOULD:
Requirements for consideration are the application form and a digital image. No prior printmaking experience is necessary and artists of all skill levels are encouraged to apply. You'll learn the woodblock printmaking process through a combination of online and in-person instruction. All applications will be promptly acknowledged and considered. Please do not send application forms by mail, fax or e-mail. We urge artists to send the highest quality image of their work.
Please review the FAQ's prior to starting an application.
The following items are required with your application.
1. Full Name and Collaborator's Full Name - Tell us your full name and how you wished to be addressed in public. Include the pseudo or business name you work under, e.g. John Smith aka "SmithWorks". List any additional project collaborators following the same format.
2. Email and Telephone - Tell us how to reach you. IMPORTANT! Add contact (at) bigink (dot) org and lyellcastonguay (at) gmail (dot) com to your email client's approved sender list.
3. Mailing Address - Tell us where we should send Speedball Art Products printmaking samples if your application is accepted.
4. Website - Tell us where we can find more of your work. We recommend creating an public Instagram account and posting images if you don't have a website.
5. Facebook & Instagram Username - We use this information to tag you on social media posts leading up to the event.
6. Referral - How did you hear about us? Please be specific as possible.
7. Project Statement - Describe your expectations, experience level, and what you hope to achieve. Mention the challenges and rewards you envision along the way. One paragraph.
8. Anticipated Dimensions - Tell us how big you plan on working. IMPORTANT! The woodblock must be at least 24 by 36 inches but no larger than 40 by 96 inches in dimension. We sometimes work with venues that have an oversized press on-site. Please confirm the maximum allowable size under the OPEN CALLS section on this page.
9. Image Upload - Show us what you intend to carve by uploading a black and white drawing, digital graphic, painting, photograph, or print. Either a previously created image or a new concept is acceptable. The image must be formatted as a JPG with the following file name format: YourFirstName_YourLastName.jpg, e.g. John_Smith.jpg. The digital image must be sent as JPG (.jpg). Files with a .docx, .pdf, or (.jpeg) extension will not work in the system. Do not include identifying information on the image.